Area Museum

Overview

Hundreds of visitors from Missouri and a number of other states have toured the Concordia Area Museum since it opened in February, 2003. The museum, sponsored by the Concordia Area Heritage Society, is located in three rooms on the middle floor of the Concordia Community Center.

Donations

Items for viewing have been donated by present and past residents, including a section about Kathryn Kuhlman, renowned evangelist, born in Concordia, Missouri.

Items including: 

  • Farm goods
  • Historical records
  • Memorabilia from former businesses
  • Military uniforms and equipment
  • Old household goods
  • Photographs

Among the items is an old spinning wheel and carder which was brought to America in the 1840s from Hanover, Germany by the great-grandfather of a local resident.

Museum Spinning Wheel
Uniforms

Another former resident donated tools and other items from the former blacksmith shop here, operated by his father. The items include a froe, a cleaving tool having a wedge-shaped blade and an off-set handle, a branding iron, a plowshare and a piece of wood from the Old Lutheran Church.

Melba Boeschen, past coordinator for the museum, had donated many items from the cafe "Topsy's" which was opened here in 1912 and which she and her husband operated from 1953 to 1979.

Cafe Items
Donated Loom

An old loom on which rugs were weaved for local families in the late 1800s and early 1900s, antique toys, clothing and daily items are on display to help us better remember and understand the life and the history of our community.